Skip to main content

I'm NOT going to Disneyland

The one thing I knew before the NCAA Championship game began is that Cinderella would not fare well.

I had no idea who would win the game, but I was certain that Cinderella was, in fact, not invited to the party. Monday night's game matched the team ranked #3 in the final ESPN/USA Today Coaches Poll against the team ranked #8. I’m not sure how anyone gets Cinderella out of that.

David and Goliath? Which was which? If #12 Michigan State had beaten Butler for the right to face Duke, do you think anyone would have called it David vs. Goliath? Maybe it’s Butler’s “small school” status that calls to mind the diminutive sling shotter, but that’s pure nonsense. These are scholarship athletes; twelve per side. Nobody’s holding tryouts among the student body at Duke or Butler hoping to find good players. Enrollment level is irrelevant. In fact, Duke's undergraduate enrollment of barely 6,000 is much closer to that of Butler than to schools like Texas or Ohio State.

The NCAA power conferences and their televised enablers simply don’t want to admit the truth we saw revealed on the court. In 2010, Butler is the second best team in the country even though they play in a lesser conference and lack the star power on which the networks rely.

It’s more palatable to the sport’s ruling class to credit Butler’s performance to an alignment of the stars or divine intervention. But it’s just not so. This is an elite team. They have reached four of the last eight Sweet Sixteens; the same number as North Carolina. They had no fairy godmother. No magic rodents. This was Butler being Butler. The Disney princess was overmatched by a couple of petulant stepsisters, but these alleged Cinderellas came to the ball having beaten four of the top twelve teams in the country including #4 Syracuse, #6 Ohio State, #7 Kansas State and #12 Michigan State. They also knocked off UCLA, Northwestern, Davidson, Xavier, Siena, UTEP and Murray State and came in to the championship game with 25 consecutive victories.

Given that, it seems the real question should have been, “Why were these guys a five seed in the first place?” At which NCAA member institution would the Math Department assign the nation's 8th best team a seed reserved for a team no better than 17th best?

I’m not sure how to answer that, but I suspect 26th ranked St. Mary’s (10 seed) and 30th ranked Cornell (12th seed) have their own theories. High seeds are a private club and the price of admission is membership in a power conference. Others need not apply – even if the selection committee claims to value strong finishes and the Bulldogs came in on a 20 game jag.

In the end, Duke won its championship when a last second desperation shot rimmed out. It went down to the wire and it’s time to admit what we saw -- a great game featuring two great teams; exactly what the Championship game is supposed to be.

Duke is to be congratulated for beating a formidable opponent. Likewise Butler earned as much respect as a runner-up can. In fact, they left everything on the court; except a glass slipper.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A New Lineup

As a person of limited substance, I have always been drawn to both light verse and baseball.   In the first grade we were asked to recite a poem in front of the class.  Amidst various renditions of Roses are Red , Jack and Jill , and Twinkle Twinkle Little Star , I offered up Ogden Nash's  Lineup for Yesterday: An ABC of Baseball Immortals --  all 26 stanzas and 104 lines. In this popular poem - first published by SPORT Magazine in 1949 and seen HERE  - I had discovered the masterful confluence of my two prime interests.  I was hooked young.and never lost my love for this unique work.  In fact, more than 50 years removed from that classroom, I still recite it to myself when I need to pass time waiting for the water to boil or the timer on the microwave to run its course.  With that in mind - and desperately avoiding whatever task actually needed to be done - I attempted an homage to Mr. Nash with a modern "Lineup" comprised of the "Immortals" of

John Wooden

It was past midnight when the I-phone on my hotel nightstand began to vibrate. I had a text from my daughter telling me that John Wooden was hospitalized in grave condition. She is too young to have experienced Coach Wooden’s half-century heyday, but she knows me well enough to know I would want to be awakened by such news. A few minutes ago, I learned of his passing. I was lucky enough to know Coach Wooden. We weren't close -- occasional business associates. Since we first met around 1990, we saw each other no more than 10 times. But he always treated me like a friend. Invariably, he greeted me warmly, asked about my family and listened as much as he spoke. More revealing is the fact that he behaved as if we were equals though I knew we were not. Our days together were school days for me and he was my professor. I learned from listening to him, from observing him, from chatting with him and from reflecting on our time together. I learned from his textbook. I loved the quotes .

Tough

I’ve seen toughness in many forms.  Having spent most of my professional life around athletes, my rolodex includes names like Cal Ripken Jr., who famously played 2,632 baseball games without taking a day off; Willis Reed, named NBA Finals MVP after dragging a barely functional right leg up and down the Madison Square Garden court in a storied Game 7 victory; “world’s strongest man” and WWE superstar Mark Henry; and NFL wide receivers like Mike Quick, Cris Carter and Tim Brown, each of whom ran fearlessly across the middle of the field in a job defined by continual brutality, frequent pain, and occasional debilitating injuries. But the toughest athletes I know are often draped in lavender and violet spandex and tend to leave a trail of sequins and rhinestones in their wake.  One of them is my own daughter.  She is a baton twirler and she is an absolute beast.    Sure, we can quibble over the definition of “tough”.   If someone slammed down a glass in a gritty barro