Skip to main content

Start the Revolution! Hold the Bun!

Something amazing happened to me today. I ate a panini. I was on my way to a meeting when I stopped at Tully’s on 11th Street and grabbed a hot panini with ham and muenster cheese. http://tullysbakery.com/

Not amazed? A few days earlier, I popped in for a banana muffin. In the previous week or two, my wife made me cookies from a Betty Crocker mix, I took out a pizza from the local pizzeria, I had a hot pretzel, and I hosted a business dinner at an Italian restaurant.

Still not amazed? You obviously do not have celiac disease. But one of every 133 Americans does. In my circle, I am the one. Unlike my 132 closest friends, I must adhere to a strict gluten free diet or risk malnutrition among many other physical indignities. No wheat, barley, rye, etc. No white flour. No traditional cakes, breads, beer or pasta. Landmines in the fine print ingredients of processed foods and restaurant meals of every description.

In 1978 – at age 19 and reduced to 135 pounds on my 6’2” frame – a doctor who had gone to an offshore medical school literally pulled a book off his shelf and said, “I think I know what this might be.” He consulted the book. He became sure of it and I was “cured”. After dozens of misdiagnoses, my health was restored and my life was changed.

I spent the next three decades futilely explaining myself to waiters and waitresses. I spent tens of thousands of dollars on barely edible gluten-free fare from health food stores. I knew more ways to eat cassava than anyone should. I spent a lot of time sick from misinformation.

But that was then. Now is something different altogether. We are living in the golden age of Celiacs fueled by a Gluten Free movement that is nothing short of a revolution. Bakeries. Restaurants. Cookbooks. Grocery stores. Wait staff and chefs more knowledgeable about the disease than the medical community. Gluten-free food is everywhere. Celiacs are bordering on trendy in 2010 and an awful lot of the resultant GF fare is actually good.

There are even “celebrity celiacs” coming out of the closet. Two of my favorite smart-alecky intellectuals, Keith Olbermann and Sarah Vowell are fellow sufferers as is The View panelist Elizabeth Hasselbeck. Naturally, there are even conspiracy theorists who believe JFK was celiac. http://tinyurl.com/9aq4bk

I can’t offer an opinion as to how Tully’s panini stacks up to the genuine article. These Italian sandwiches weren’t readily available in 1978 and I’m uncertain when they hit the culinary consciousness of America. I’m quite sure my GF panini was the first panini I’ve ever had. Still, I can safely say it was everything I had hoped for the last 32 years. I can’t wait for more.

Here’s to my fellow celiacs! Long live the revolution.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A New Lineup

As a person of limited substance, I have always been drawn to both light verse and baseball.   In the first grade we were asked to recite a poem in front of the class.  Amidst various renditions of Roses are Red , Jack and Jill , and Twinkle Twinkle Little Star , I offered up Ogden Nash's  Lineup for Yesterday: An ABC of Baseball Immortals --  all 26 stanzas and 104 lines. In this popular poem - first published by SPORT Magazine in 1949 and seen HERE  - I had discovered the masterful confluence of my two prime interests.  I was hooked young.and never lost my love for this unique work.  In fact, more than 50 years removed from that classroom, I still recite it to myself when I need to pass time waiting for the water to boil or the timer on the microwave to run its course.  With that in mind - and desperately avoiding whatever task actually needed to be done - I attempted an homage to Mr. Nash with a modern "Lineup" comprised of the "Immortals" of

Tough

I’ve seen toughness in many forms.  Having spent most of my professional life around athletes, my rolodex includes names like Cal Ripken Jr., who famously played 2,632 baseball games without taking a day off; Willis Reed, named NBA Finals MVP after dragging a barely functional right leg up and down the Madison Square Garden court in a storied Game 7 victory; “world’s strongest man” and WWE superstar Mark Henry; and NFL wide receivers like Mike Quick, Cris Carter and Tim Brown, each of whom ran fearlessly across the middle of the field in a job defined by continual brutality, frequent pain, and occasional debilitating injuries. But the toughest athletes I know are often draped in lavender and violet spandex and tend to leave a trail of sequins and rhinestones in their wake.  One of them is my own daughter.  She is a baton twirler and she is an absolute beast.    Sure, we can quibble over the definition of “tough”.   If someone slammed down a glass in a gritty barro

John Wooden

It was past midnight when the I-phone on my hotel nightstand began to vibrate. I had a text from my daughter telling me that John Wooden was hospitalized in grave condition. She is too young to have experienced Coach Wooden’s half-century heyday, but she knows me well enough to know I would want to be awakened by such news. A few minutes ago, I learned of his passing. I was lucky enough to know Coach Wooden. We weren't close -- occasional business associates. Since we first met around 1990, we saw each other no more than 10 times. But he always treated me like a friend. Invariably, he greeted me warmly, asked about my family and listened as much as he spoke. More revealing is the fact that he behaved as if we were equals though I knew we were not. Our days together were school days for me and he was my professor. I learned from listening to him, from observing him, from chatting with him and from reflecting on our time together. I learned from his textbook. I loved the quotes .