Skip to main content

Would Harper Lee Have Signed With the Miami Heat?

I admit it. I was one of the millions who tuned in to The Decision, the clumsy and uncomfortable ESPN program by Lebron, of Lebron and for Lebron. A genuine basketball wunderkind, Lebron James was so convinced of his exalted place in our consciousness that he was certain his business decisions should be televised live (he was, of course, proven correct as the amateurish one-hour show registered a higher rating than his final playoff game). I witnessed the announcement that he would play for Miami and then saw the ridiculous display of narcissism dissolve in to an equally bizarre talk radio-fueled hysteria.

The insanity did not subside until I read a small piece in the New York Post noting a significant literary milestone. It said To Kill A Mockingbird, Harper Lee’s classic Southern novel, is celebrating the fiftieth anniversary of its publication this year.



Mockingbird was one of my mother’s favorite books. She read it the year it was published. I had just reached my first birthday and my three older siblings were all under 7. Where she found the time or energy to read anything remains a mystery to this day.

When I was 11, I saw the film version and was haunted for years by Robert Duvall’s brief but powerful turn as Boo Radley. My late night terror inspired by the Finch’s mysterious neighbor was more than balanced by Gregory Peck’s noble portrayal of Atticus. His presence in the film is so quietly enormous that I am still inclined to rise from the couch in my den when my television eavesdrops on the courtroom balcony to hear the Reverend telling Scout, “Stand up, Miss Jean-Louise. Your father is passing.”

When I finally read the novel in high school, I immediately shared my mother’s love for its timeless themes, ambling child’s narration, and authentic (if occasionally vulgar) dialogue. By the time my daughter was assigned the book, it was more than 45 years old, but still rang true to her.

Three generations of my family were joined by this simple tale of one little girl’s summer vacation. I’m not sure there’s another cultural touchpoint the three of us shared as deeply.

I’ve long been fascinated by the book’s author. A dignified woman from southwest Alabama, Harper Lee had a tale worth telling and told it with exceptional skill. Before publishing her own masterpiece, she collaborated on Truman Capote’s “nonfiction novel” In Cold Blood. Critics of her day floated the theory that her childhood friend, Capote, might have been Mockingbird’s actual author; they reasoned the work was too good for a “nobody”. Ironically, modern scholars now question to what extent Ms. Lee may have authored In Cold Blood.

Regardless, the two books are among American Literature’s handful of best examples of marrying greatness and accessibility. Lee’s work hangs over hundreds of subsequent novels of the genre like one of her hot and humid Alabama afternoons. Capote’s book revolutionized journalism as much as literature. They were both on her resume by the time she was 34. The literary world was surely hers for the asking. But she did not ask.

Instead she walked away gracefully to a life lived on her own terms. I believe it was the ultimate act of self-confidence. Not ego, but true inner confidence. She was never the fiercely reclusive Salinger – weighed down by accusations of paranoia and dark eccentricity. Nor is she the bourbon-soaked and suffering Dylan Thomas who famously cited Baa Baa Black Sheep as his life story while lamenting that he had “no more bags of wool” to share with his readers. She did not even retreat to country life as many assume. In fact, she divides her time between her birthplace and New York City. Everyone recognizes her in the former, almost no one in the latter.

She stepped away at the height of her “brand” and, by all indications, she has pulled it off.

With his future placed before him on a silver platter, young Mr. James chose a different path than Ms. Lee. He wants more. Not just more money, but more “art” in the manner of seam-splitting passes, thunderous dunks, lockdown defense, dominating wins and championship rings. He knows how high he set the bar, but wants to push it even higher. While he has certainly chosen the road more traveled, his is an honorable and understandable decision. Very few elite performers see the limitations of their greatness or even ask what else their life might be. Most, like Lebron, need to know exactly how great they can be. They recognize the finite window of time they are given and are driven to accomplish all they possibly can – even if they’ve already produced the equivalent of a classic novel. They are far more likely to stay too long than to leave too soon.

Likewise - The Decision notwithstanding - it is foolish to think Lebron’s generation invented the runaway ego. While not as attractive as Ms. Lee’s inner confidence, great artists from Mozart to the aforementioned Thomas were as quick to publicly celebrate their abilities as King James is. More to the point, the towering James would easily take a back seat to the diminutive Capote in a “preen off”.

Still, the juxtaposition of the two prodigies led me to imagine the unimaginable. Suppose Lebron had chosen to walk away.

He is a child of Akron, OH. His love for his hometown is as genuine as it is inexplicable. Imagine for a minute that he told Jim Gray he was going to leave basketball behind to live quietly in Akron. After all, he had already accomplished more than he could have dreamed and made more money than he could ever spend. Imagine he borrowed a page from Harper Lee and simply went home.

Of course, he did not and probably could not. Even if he wanted to, it’s hard to believe a star of his magnitude could simply go away in this day and age (see Williams, Ricky). Where would he go to avoid the public and the media?

But this wasn’t always so. In 1961, Pulitzer Prize in hand, Harper Lee went away. She knew what she wanted and what she did not want and the world respected her wishes. I will always wonder what she might have produced had she “stayed”. I’d like to know if she had a “bar raiser” within and what it might have meant to three generations of my family. Still I can’t help but admire the decision she made and the dignity with which she has lived her quiet life.

I also look forward to seeing Lebron James play basketball for another decade or so. I hope he made the right decision for the right reason. It’s not hard to imagine telling my grandchildren about Lebron over some future breakfast table. But I truly can’t wait for the next generation of my family to discover an amazing summer in Maycomb County, Alabama and for my grandchildren-to-be to ask me about the unique woman who kept that time alive. That will be a tale worth telling.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A New Lineup

As a person of limited substance, I have always been drawn to both light verse and baseball.   In the first grade we were asked to recite a poem in front of the class.  Amidst various renditions of Roses are Red , Jack and Jill , and Twinkle Twinkle Little Star , I offered up Ogden Nash's  Lineup for Yesterday: An ABC of Baseball Immortals --  all 26 stanzas and 104 lines. In this popular poem - first published by SPORT Magazine in 1949 and seen HERE  - I had discovered the masterful confluence of my two prime interests.  I was hooked young.and never lost my love for this unique work.  In fact, more than 50 years removed from that classroom, I still recite it to myself when I need to pass time waiting for the water to boil or the timer on the microwave to run its course.  With that in mind - and desperately avoiding whatever task actually needed to be done - I attempted an homage to Mr. Nash with a modern "Lineup" comprised of the "Immortals" of

John Wooden

It was past midnight when the I-phone on my hotel nightstand began to vibrate. I had a text from my daughter telling me that John Wooden was hospitalized in grave condition. She is too young to have experienced Coach Wooden’s half-century heyday, but she knows me well enough to know I would want to be awakened by such news. A few minutes ago, I learned of his passing. I was lucky enough to know Coach Wooden. We weren't close -- occasional business associates. Since we first met around 1990, we saw each other no more than 10 times. But he always treated me like a friend. Invariably, he greeted me warmly, asked about my family and listened as much as he spoke. More revealing is the fact that he behaved as if we were equals though I knew we were not. Our days together were school days for me and he was my professor. I learned from listening to him, from observing him, from chatting with him and from reflecting on our time together. I learned from his textbook. I loved the quotes .

Tough

I’ve seen toughness in many forms.  Having spent most of my professional life around athletes, my rolodex includes names like Cal Ripken Jr., who famously played 2,632 baseball games without taking a day off; Willis Reed, named NBA Finals MVP after dragging a barely functional right leg up and down the Madison Square Garden court in a storied Game 7 victory; “world’s strongest man” and WWE superstar Mark Henry; and NFL wide receivers like Mike Quick, Cris Carter and Tim Brown, each of whom ran fearlessly across the middle of the field in a job defined by continual brutality, frequent pain, and occasional debilitating injuries. But the toughest athletes I know are often draped in lavender and violet spandex and tend to leave a trail of sequins and rhinestones in their wake.  One of them is my own daughter.  She is a baton twirler and she is an absolute beast.    Sure, we can quibble over the definition of “tough”.   If someone slammed down a glass in a gritty barro