Skip to main content

Father's Day

My father’s grandfather was named Israel Schwab. At least he was when he arrived at Ellis Island from a small town straddling the Polish-Russian border. Language problems, impatience and incompetence in processing the new immigrants conspired to give him – and me – a new name. By the time he made the brief trip to Manhattan’s west side, his papers said he was Israel Goldberg. It hardly mattered as his mostly hospitable new neighbors immediately dubbed him “Jerry the Jew”.

The rest of my name comes from his son; the original David Goldberg in my family. Dave (we never called him Grandpa) was born in to a horse-and-buggy era and lived through the space shuttle. The world got small on his watch and he did his best to play a role. Leaving school at age 12, he went to work to help put food on the family table. Still a boy, he got a job with the city serving primarily as a court officer. He qualified for retirement before reaching 40 and immediately began a whole new career as head buyer for J.W. Mays; a leading regional department store. There he worked, prospered and excelled into his eighties.



Upon retirement – and without the benefit of a high school education – he enrolled in college; albeit as a non-matriculating student at LaGuardia CC. Any concerns as to whether he was ready were quickly put to rest. He was a brilliant, well-read man who proved up to academia’s challenge and then some. In retrospect, it might have been wiser to ask if higher education was ready for Dave. He racked up straight A’s while sharing his opinion at the only volumes he knew – loud and louder. After the 82-year-old freshman announced to his New York History class, “That’s not the way it happened. I was there,” the thirtysomething professor wisely allowed him to prepare and deliver several lectures to his classmates.

He spent his waning years scouring the five boros and the counties of Long Island in search of discount bagels, cream cheese, herring and strawberry preserves for our traditional Sunday morning breakfasts. He remained vital, active and sharp until his death after a brief illness in his mid-nineties.

My father was his only son. He was in a military high school at age 12 and enrolled in college at 15. At 17, he went to war serving as a weatherman on the USS Rudyerd Bay; an aircraft carrier in the Pacific. He returned home safely to finish college and law school before starting a family that grew to include three sons and two daughters.

That serious resume falls well short of the whole picture. As a man, Arthur Goldberg defies traditional description and I will make no attempt in this space. “Unique” may be the only word that would never draw a rebuttal. Likewise, his parenting methods strayed a bit from the norm, but all five of us understood the gift we had been given. We were smarter, more independent, funnier and happier for it.

My dad was never big on the kind of recognition that comes with Father’s Day and I am the apple that fell from his tree. While I may not be much for the formal celebration of the day, I am about fatherhood more than any single thing. I’ve often said that my life became meaningful the day my daughter was born. That sentiment is as true in my most personal reflection as any of the times I’ve spoken it aloud.

On this Father’s Day, I recognize the fact that, at its best, fatherhood spills across multiple generations. I do not merely follow the men listed before me on my family tree. I am a father because of Israel Schwab, my namesake grandfather and my own father. It is simply my turn; an enormous responsibility as much as a comforting truth.

When wished a Happy Father’s Day today, I did not let it roll off me as I always have. I accepted it on behalf of these men, and many others who comprise the part of me that is a father.

I am honored to follow in their footsteps and thankful for their help in raising my family.

Comments

  1. Fantastic read (again).
    is that a picture of any of the generations referenced? Or is that your cuz "Stock Goldberg"?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A New Lineup

As a person of limited substance, I have always been drawn to both light verse and baseball.   In the first grade we were asked to recite a poem in front of the class.  Amidst various renditions of Roses are Red , Jack and Jill , and Twinkle Twinkle Little Star , I offered up Ogden Nash's  Lineup for Yesterday: An ABC of Baseball Immortals --  all 26 stanzas and 104 lines. In this popular poem - first published by SPORT Magazine in 1949 and seen HERE  - I had discovered the masterful confluence of my two prime interests.  I was hooked young.and never lost my love for this unique work.  In fact, more than 50 years removed from that classroom, I still recite it to myself when I need to pass time waiting for the water to boil or the timer on the microwave to run its course.  With that in mind - and desperately avoiding whatever task actually needed to be done - I attempted an homage to Mr. Nash with a modern "Lineup" comprised of the "Immortals" of

John Wooden

It was past midnight when the I-phone on my hotel nightstand began to vibrate. I had a text from my daughter telling me that John Wooden was hospitalized in grave condition. She is too young to have experienced Coach Wooden’s half-century heyday, but she knows me well enough to know I would want to be awakened by such news. A few minutes ago, I learned of his passing. I was lucky enough to know Coach Wooden. We weren't close -- occasional business associates. Since we first met around 1990, we saw each other no more than 10 times. But he always treated me like a friend. Invariably, he greeted me warmly, asked about my family and listened as much as he spoke. More revealing is the fact that he behaved as if we were equals though I knew we were not. Our days together were school days for me and he was my professor. I learned from listening to him, from observing him, from chatting with him and from reflecting on our time together. I learned from his textbook. I loved the quotes .

Tough

I’ve seen toughness in many forms.  Having spent most of my professional life around athletes, my rolodex includes names like Cal Ripken Jr., who famously played 2,632 baseball games without taking a day off; Willis Reed, named NBA Finals MVP after dragging a barely functional right leg up and down the Madison Square Garden court in a storied Game 7 victory; “world’s strongest man” and WWE superstar Mark Henry; and NFL wide receivers like Mike Quick, Cris Carter and Tim Brown, each of whom ran fearlessly across the middle of the field in a job defined by continual brutality, frequent pain, and occasional debilitating injuries. But the toughest athletes I know are often draped in lavender and violet spandex and tend to leave a trail of sequins and rhinestones in their wake.  One of them is my own daughter.  She is a baton twirler and she is an absolute beast.    Sure, we can quibble over the definition of “tough”.   If someone slammed down a glass in a gritty barro