Skip to main content

Are the Ks OK?

Social commentators often note that we've blurred the lines between fame and infamy. Some argue we actually prefer infamy. To paraphrase Richard Glover of The Sydney Morning Journal, Mother Theresa is interesting, but Joey Buttafuoco is fascinating. Nelson Mandela, Bill Gates, Sonia Sotamayor? We know them. Britney Spears, Tiger Woods, Bernie Madoff? We really know them.

Fame, infamy, notoriety -- today it all boils down to this thing called celebrity.

And then there is a force called the Kardashians.

Their stepfather was the world's greatest athlete and had his own Wheaties box. But he's a bit player in the public lives of the Special Ks. If their reality show were a sitcom, he would be the equivalent of a wacky neighbor at best.

Lamar Odom is an NBA champion with an amazing backstory. http://tinyurl.com/ydz2wcn. Still it took a quickie marriage to Khloe to hit the big time and propel him to two national TV commercials. Reggie Bush has a Super Bowl ring and a Heisman Trophy, but is much better known for having Kim.

Even their late father who was part of the O.J. Simpson dream team (often accused of his own brand of infamy in the area of evidence disposal) pales next to the bright light of his children's' mother.

Of course, this is no surprise. The Kardashians have done ... well, that's just it. They don't really do anything. But they do it on TV. Because of this, their power and influence is nothing short of amazing. People want to be like them. Look like them, dress like them, behave like them. And by "them", I mean the K-girls; not Odom, Bush or Jenner.

They deserve major credit for building a personal brand as strong as any in entertainment. They have taken "being famous for being famous" to a whole new place which has allowed them to become major arbiters of young America's mores and tastes. The Kardashians have already made big post-reality marks on fashion, fragrance, fitness and film and show no signs of letting up.

That's where I start to get uncomfortable -- not with the Calabassas Ks but with us; the public that enables their expanding influence. I say more power to the Kardashians; whatever that power is. But I also remember when a person used to become famous because they wrote a book, played a role, designed clothes or produced a film. Today, they too often write a book, play a role, design clothes or produce a film because they are famous.

We need more art and not just more content. I truly hope that young talent among us strives to sing, dance, act, write and create instead of conspiring to contrive "reality" as a shortcut to those vocations.

We'll all be better off if they do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A New Lineup

As a person of limited substance, I have always been drawn to both light verse and baseball.   In the first grade we were asked to recite a poem in front of the class.  Amidst various renditions of Roses are Red , Jack and Jill , and Twinkle Twinkle Little Star , I offered up Ogden Nash's  Lineup for Yesterday: An ABC of Baseball Immortals --  all 26 stanzas and 104 lines. In this popular poem - first published by SPORT Magazine in 1949 and seen HERE  - I had discovered the masterful confluence of my two prime interests.  I was hooked young.and never lost my love for this unique work.  In fact, more than 50 years removed from that classroom, I still recite it to myself when I need to pass time waiting for the water to boil or the timer on the microwave to run its course.  With that in mind - and desperately avoiding whatever task actually needed to be done - I attempted an homage to Mr. Nash with a modern "Lineup" comprised of the "Immortals" of

Tough

I’ve seen toughness in many forms.  Having spent most of my professional life around athletes, my rolodex includes names like Cal Ripken Jr., who famously played 2,632 baseball games without taking a day off; Willis Reed, named NBA Finals MVP after dragging a barely functional right leg up and down the Madison Square Garden court in a storied Game 7 victory; “world’s strongest man” and WWE superstar Mark Henry; and NFL wide receivers like Mike Quick, Cris Carter and Tim Brown, each of whom ran fearlessly across the middle of the field in a job defined by continual brutality, frequent pain, and occasional debilitating injuries. But the toughest athletes I know are often draped in lavender and violet spandex and tend to leave a trail of sequins and rhinestones in their wake.  One of them is my own daughter.  She is a baton twirler and she is an absolute beast.    Sure, we can quibble over the definition of “tough”.   If someone slammed down a glass in a gritty barro

John Wooden

It was past midnight when the I-phone on my hotel nightstand began to vibrate. I had a text from my daughter telling me that John Wooden was hospitalized in grave condition. She is too young to have experienced Coach Wooden’s half-century heyday, but she knows me well enough to know I would want to be awakened by such news. A few minutes ago, I learned of his passing. I was lucky enough to know Coach Wooden. We weren't close -- occasional business associates. Since we first met around 1990, we saw each other no more than 10 times. But he always treated me like a friend. Invariably, he greeted me warmly, asked about my family and listened as much as he spoke. More revealing is the fact that he behaved as if we were equals though I knew we were not. Our days together were school days for me and he was my professor. I learned from listening to him, from observing him, from chatting with him and from reflecting on our time together. I learned from his textbook. I loved the quotes .